Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Confessions of an Economic Hit Man

by John Perkins

A hopeless Economics student back in school days, I was the last person to expect myself to read "Confessions of an Economic Hit Man". But since it was recommended by Frederick (who aspires, not very secretly, to be a corporate bastard), I thought it safer to protect myself against ruthless capitalists like him by upping my knowledge of the economic world.

John Perkins, in this autobiographical account, has revealed to me things I never thought I would know: the pervasive "corporatocracy" which I have hitherto lived comfortably by has been revealed to be relentless, remorseless and ruthless slave drivers. Aiming to driving developing countries into perpetual debt, conglomerate consulting/engineering firms bait poor countries into huge loans by exaggerating benefits from industrial development. As these countries are obliged to use the loan to hire the services of American companies, money effectively does not leave the US market. Only benefiting the richer few, these victimized countries are soon awashed with debts, which allows Washington to demand political or military loyalty.

Weaned on a society where GDP growth and material comfort are touted the key performance indicators of an effective government and society, I came to the sudden realization what cruel implications of my apathetic acceptance of the system may have. Am I gracing double-faced firms that try to lure me into a life of luxury while simultaneously, very consciously, shackling some other peoples into eternal oblivion? Am I then, to be complicit in this global miasma?

Much debate has been launched over this book, with both camps vehemently defending their stand. What significance this book has, in my opinion, is however not truth, but the bringing about of awareness. With it's intimate and forthright narration (albeit one that can get rather repetitious), Perkins successfully engages concern of his readers and exhorts them to taking more responsibility for their fellow humans.

No comments: