Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Michael Schiefel

Listening to the June 2007 Musik-Podcast des Goethe Institut today, I was introduced to a most enchanting and innovative musician - Michael Schiefel. The episode talked briefly about his latest album "Don't Touch My Animals" (2006) and featured an extremely amusing song - "Aufm Dorf und Inner Stadt" - that was exuding with Hindi charm and caught my attention immediately.

Michael Schiefel was born in 1970 in Münster and has worked as a professional vocal artiste since the 1990s. In 2001 he was appointed a vocal professor in the Franz Liszt Conservatory in Weimar.

Prior to "Don't Touch My Animals", he produced two solo albums: "I Don't Belong" (2000) and "Invisible Loop" (1997). Though he is formally trained in jazz vocals, Michael Schiefel's albums reflect experimental styles with interesting electronic manipulation methods like track looping. His voice, which covers a wide range, has also been frequently described as androgynous - which is of great intrigue to me!



Do visit his websites for more information
www.michaelschiefel.com
www.myspace.com/michaelschiefel (While you're at it, listen to Präludium #3. I love it!)

No comments: